sâmbătă, 19 aprilie 2014

Some thoughts before departure

The months since I started planning this trip have been very intense. That's because I have the bad habit of setting too many goals for myself.

One of them was to build the web application to track my whereabouts, aiming to learn some new technologies in the process. It was very fun, but I would not do a hobby coding project with such an immutable deadline ever again. Some guy asked me what kind of hobby project has a deadline. Well, mine has. And it is today, because in two days I am gone, with no access to a PC or laptop. So I'm done, I'm not writing another line of code, it is what it is. I hope it would be helpful for those that want to see where I stand in my adventure (if it works that is).
Thank you Gabi for the initial layout which I completely butchered in the end, and thank you Dragos for the support provided!

Making the arrangements to leave work for two months was also not an easy feat. When you are the owner of a piece of code that proves to be critical for the next huge project just after you decide you want to leave for two months, things become, let's say, a bit "agitated". It had ups and downs, but I enjoyed this process.
I am very grateful to IXIA, the company where I punch the keyboard daily, for allowing me to pursue my dream, again (it is not the first time I ask this favor). Wonder how many companies would do this, I imagine not many.

So when to find time to train? Answer: whenever I found a little bit of time and energy left (which rarely come simultaneously). Running to work, running stairs at work, swinging kettlebells in conference rooms after hours, biking in the office (actually this is a fantasy, I wish I could). I've spent some time on the trainer, and managed to squeeze a few 100+ km outdoor rides. Far for the training regimen I used to have when training for Ironman, but I feel I'm in decent shape for what's coming with regard to pushing pedals. But pushing pedals feels like the easy part here, after all, if I am tired I can just stop for a while.

What are my concerns? There is a very big list: keeping the bike in my possession (at night), stormy weather in east, winter weather in the Rockies, running out of water in desert areas, roads with heavy traffic (though I planned the route to avoid them as much as possible), trespassing the land of some dude with a gun, and... bugs in the web app (very likely given my erratic programming style as the deadline loomed near).

But then I think of Radu, who is on the road for two months and having a blast, and all these just fade away.
I feel like... I am taking a very deep plunge! But it feels good.

I am so impressed of the number of people that encouraged me to do this, sending me messages or by donating for the project that I want to support through this adventure.
You give me wings a little engine!

Un comentariu: