joi, 24 aprilie 2014

First day on the road

I'm writing these notes while sipping coffee after a McDonalds breakfast in small town of Ambler, Pennsylvania.
Here's in short how the first day went.

A 7 minute ferry ride took me on the other side of the Hudson. Entering Newark was harder than anticipated. A neverending train of high speed trucks passes me by and the road shoulders are almost nonexistent.

Newark was not the nicest experience. Bad roads, bad neighborhoods, dubious people. As i was innocently photographing a school with cool graffiti, a black lady passes me by and gives me an incredulous look: "Did you ride your bike all the way up here? You got a death wish or something?"
I realize I have to get out but where is the right direction out? Two black mean looking tatooed police officers in a parked car confirm my suspicion that being here "is not the greatest idea" and point me the shortest way out. "And somebody just got killed for one of those" says one of them pointing at the smartphone on the handlebars. I hide it and pedal quickly out of there
Suddenly the landscape changes completely: nice houses, blossomed trees, road is good again. Phew!

Rest of the day takes me through the New Jersey and then Pennsylvania countryside on one of the most beautiful roads I ever rode. Rolling hills, no fences, mowned lawns (most likely the entire state is mowned), pretty houses with their PO boxes (even empty fields and pastures got one) and not a person in sight.

The wind blew furiously all day but it was mostly sunny.

In Lambertville I start looking for accomodation. Being a fancy resort all BBs are ridiculosly expensive. The only campground near town looks abandoned.
What discourages me from camping in the forest areas between houses are the omnipresent No Tresspassing signs. You cannot get a meter out of the road without tresspasing.

Right before dark I spot a good place next to the road behind some bushes so I cannot be seen. I pitch tent quickly, soon the noise of the cars turns down and I can get some well deserved rest.

Un comentariu: